The Talon

Floating to the Top

Stephen King’s It Named Highest-Grossing Horror Film Of All Time

Julie Bove

Julie Bove

Julianna Bové, Staff Writer

The terrifying 2017 adaptation of Stephen King’s novel, It, floated past the $600 million milestone at the worldwide box office, officially claiming the title as the highest grossing horror film of all time.

Since It’s release on September 8, The Warner Bros. picture has grossed more than $680 million on an international basis, shattering The Exorcist’s 44-year record of over $441 million (not adjusted for inflation), one of the longest-held records in cinema history.

“Crossing $500 million is rarified air for any film, but for a horror film it is history-making, and we could not be prouder,” Sue Kroll, president of worldwide marketing and distribution at Warner Bros, stated in an interview with Variety.

“The filmmakers and cast did more than make a box office hit; they created a communal, must-see movie going event that has reverberated around the globe and is still going strong,” she added. “We congratulate Andy Muschietti, the extraordinary producing team, and everyone involved in It on reaching this amazing milestone.”

The film, directed by Andrés “Andy” Muschietti, follows a group of seven young outcasts in the fictional town of Derry, Maine who find themselves having to face their biggest fears in order to overcome the nefarious and bloodthirsty clown Pennywise – an ancient shape-shifting creature that emerges from its slumber every twenty-seven years to feast upon the flesh of children.

Muschietti is expected to return for It’s sequel, its date being recently announced by New Line Cinema and The Warner Bros. Staying true to King’s classic novel, the second installment will follow the seven into adulthood where they must again come face to face with the malicious being.  

Be ready for another horror event as, Pennywise returns when It: Chapter Two floats into theaters September 6, 2019.