The Talon

Filed under Entertainment

Turtles All the Way Down

Book Review

Google Images

Google Images

Turtles All the Way Down is an engaging book that is hard to put down and hard not to reread. Author, John Green tells the story of 16 year old Aza Holmes as she attempts to navigate the case of a missing billionaire, while dealing with her own overwhelming OCD and anxiety.

I tend to avoid John Green novels, as the majority of them tend to be pretentious and distracting to the actual plot. When it was announced that John Green would be releasing a new novel after six years, I assumed it would be a popular book that I would never bother reading.

However, the synopsis interested me. I knew from watching vlogbrothers, the YouTube channel John did with his brother Hank, that John suffered from OCD and anxiety himself. I picked up this book expecting the first hand experience at the subject he was about to make the story captivating.

My expectations were exceeded as the pretentious dialogue was still present as two awkward teenagers, who are supposed to be of a romantic interest, make the story repulsive, but the real story is about how Aza’s OCD affects the relationships in her life.

She struggles with figuring out how to function  in life without panicking. Throughout the story Aza is able to resurface from her anxiety long enough to realize she does have a future. Her struggle with OCD is by far the most captivating part of the book and is embedded in every action she takes, as well as, in the style of writing itself.

Green styles his writing to reflect the depth of emotions that Aza is struggling with. Although the continuity of his style of writing becomes fragmented, the reader is able to get a glimpse of what it’s like to be falling into your own never ending mind.