The Talon

Filed under News

Does a tux go with a mohawk?

There is only one man who can pull this look off, Mr. Lantsberger.

Just as his computer science students are beginning to pack up, Mr. Lantsberger turns around and reminds them to record Channel 4 tomorrow night. The room quiets as he adds, “You might just see me in a suit.”

The 27th annual Cox Presents: Salute to Teachers, was held on September 16th at Balboa Theater. Among the 5 selected as County Teacher of the Year was Del Norte’s one and only computer science teacher, Mark Lantsberger.

The process began last spring when the staff selected Lantsberger as campus Teacher of the Year.

“It absolutely just blew me away,” said Lantsberger. “ We have so many great teachers on campus and it’s just like – me? Really?”

Advancing further than the district level was the last thing on his mind.  “I’m not surprised that Mark Lantsberger was a finalist,” said Mizel. “I have said for years that the well is deep at Del Norte. We are deep with greatness when it comes to our teachers – there are a lot of great teachers.”

Lantsberger was further selected as a finalist for the state. Although he didn’t advance any farther, he remains proud to have represented Poway in the run for Teacher of the Year.

“It’s weird to me, to tell you the truth – I just come to work. I just do what I’ve been doing for 15 years.”

Humble as he is, Lantsberger gives most of the credit to his students.

Pullquote Photo

“I can’t do what I do without you guys in the seats. Bottom line.” He describes the relationship between him and his students as a type of synergy where “I expect a lot from you, but I also expect a lot from myself.””

— Mr. Lantsberger

The passion Lantsberger experiences from teaching young adults the art of computer science is his greatest platform. The “rush” that comes with helping students learn a new computer language is one of the many highlights of his career. “Whenever a student goes – Aha! – I just got paid.”

Lantsberger’s energetic, natural, and gracious teaching style is valued by all at Del Norte and we wish him the best as he embraces his new title.